Respirator Fit Test
Respirator Fit Testing
Ensure all respirators (such as N95 masks) required for work, research, or education at the Morehouse School of Medicine are being worn appropriately, securely, and safely. This includes affirming a proper seal between the mask's facepiece and the wearer's face to prevent contaminated air or hazardous substances from penetrating the respirator and being inhaled.
Any individual affiliated with the Morehouse School of Medicine (students, faculty, staff, etc.) whose role requires them to wear a respirator. A fit test should be conducted:
- When the user receives a new respirator or facepiece, and
- Every year following the initial fit test with the same respirator or facepiece.
Fit Testing Requirement
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Make sure your department has provided you with a NIOSH-approved respirator before being fit tested, and that you have it with you.
- Do not eat or drink 30 minutes prior.
- Individuals must be clean-shaven. No mustache, beard, or stubble should be grown past/below the chin. This will interfere with the respirator seal.