Health Care Innovations Day
Join us as we welcome UnitedHealth Group and Optum Ventures to share how insights, data and innovations are being used to help improve consumer outcomes, experiences and quality. This event aims to help students, residents and faculty identify careers and understand how to secure investments for startups and early-stage companies whose discoveries may help advance the health care system making it more reliable and easier to navigate.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Morehouse School of Medicine
Louis W. Sullivan National Center for Primary Care (NCPC)
4th Floor Executive Boardroom & Auditorium
720 Westview Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30310
- 8:30am – 8:55am
Breakfast (NCPC, 4th Floor Executive Board Room)
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Welcome and Fireside Chat with Leadership (NCPC, 4th Floor Executive Boardroom)
- Remarks from MSM– Valerie Montgomery Rice, MD, FACOG, President and Dean, MSM
- Fireside Chat with Dr. Montgomery Rice and Larry Renfro, Managing Partner Optum Ventures and Vice Chairman UnitedHealth Group
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Session 1: MSM HealthTech Entrepreneur Showcase (1st Floor Auditorium)
Overview of HealthTech Innovation at MSM and Partnerships – James Lillard, PhD, MBA, Associate Dean for Research, MSM
“Shark Tank” with Dr. Lillard, Kirk Barnes, Richard Dale, Dr. Gebremedhin as judges
- CleanUp – DevMar Products & MSM
- Health Equity IQ – Sadia Sleweon, Terrence Alexander, and Daija Thibodeaux with mentorship from Arletha Williams-Livingston, PhD, MPH, MBA, Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, MSM
- Cancer Care Connect – Brian Rivers, PhD MPH, Associate Professor Community Health & Preventive Medicine, Director, Cancer Health Equity Institute, MSM
- Moyo App – Herman Taylor, MD, Director, Endowed Professor, Cardiovascular Research Institute, MSM
- 10:45 a.m. – 11:00a.m.
- 11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Session 2: Resources for Funding (1st Floor Auditorium)
- Sarah London, MBA Operating Partner, Optum Ventures
- Dan Gebremedhin, MD MBA Partner, Flare Capital Partners (MSM MD C’2007)
- Kirk Barnes, Mentor, Advanced Technology Development Center
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Session 3: Atlanta University Center Consortium (AUCC) Data Science Initiative (1st Floor Auditorium)
- Training the Next Generation for Careers in Data Science – Todd Greene, Executive Director, AUCC
- Democratizing Precision Medicine at MSM: Healthcare Delivery, Discovery & Education in Applied Bioinformatics and Health Informatics – James Lillard, PhD MBA, Associate Dean for Research Affairs, MSM
- Data & Analytics – Richard Hughes, Chief Strategy Officer, Global Human Capital, Optum
- 12:30 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Lunch Break – Box Lunch Pick Up (1st Floor Auditorium)
- 12:45 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Session 4: Panel on Careers in HealthTech (1st Floor Auditorium)
Moderated by Dan Gebremedhin, MD MBA (MSM MD C’2007)
- Richard Hughes, Chief Strategy Officer, Global Human Capital, Optum
- Data & Analytics – Richard Dale, President, OptumLabs
- Enterprise Relationships – Sheryl Skolnick, Executive Vice President of Strategic Relationships, Optum
- Data & Analytics – Sarah London, Operating Partner, Optum Ventures
- 1:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- 1:45 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Session 5: Venture-backed Companies Success Stories (1st Floor Auditorium)
- Sheryl Skolnick, Executive Vice President of Strategic Relationships, Optum (moderator)
- Wim Van Hecke, CEO, Icometrix
- Michael Abramoff, Founder & Executive Chairman, IDx
- Ikenna Okezie, MD, CEO, Somatus
- 2:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Announcement of Shark Tank Winners (1st Floor Auditorium)
- Closing - Sandra Harris-Hooker, PhD, Vice President and Executive Vice Dean, MSM
* Agenda is subject to change.
Parking information: External campus guest should plan to park at Morehouse College's parking deck one block from the Morehouse School of Medicine campus. The fee is $3.00-5.00. Click here for directions to campus.