Jersey Shore Medical Center
University of Massachusetts Medical Center at Worcester
United States Public Health Service Epidemiology Training Program
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Degree: Doctor of Medicine
Harvard University School of Public Health
Degree: Master of Public Health
Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health
Degree: Doctor of Philosophy
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- Breast Cancer
- Cancer Epidemiology
- Cancer Prevention and Control
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Religion, Spirituality, and Health
- Cancer Training Programs
- Smoking Cessation
- Livingston, CJ, Berenji, M, Titus, T, Caplan, LS, Freeman, R, Sherin, K, Mohammad, A, and Salisbury-Afshar, E. American College of Preventive Medicine: Addressing the opioid epidemic through a prevention framework. Am J Prev Med. 2022 Sep;63(3):454-465.
- Li C, Douglas M, Zahidi R, Josiah Willock R, Caplan L, Baltrus P, Gillis E, Mack D, Gaglioti A. Racial and ethnic disparities in H1N1 vaccine uptake in Medicaid: Lessons learned for a COVID-19 vaccine rollout. Prev Med Rep. 2021 Dec;24:101588.
- Baltrus PT, Douglas M, Li C, Caplan LS, Blount M, Mack D, Gaglioti AH. Percentage of Black population and primary care shortage areas associated with higher COVID-19 case and death rates in Georgia counties, South Med J 2021 Feb;114(2):57-62.
- Caplan LS, Akintobi TH, Gordon TK, Zellner T, Smith SA, Blumenthal DS. Reducing Disparities by way of a Cancer Disparities Research Training Program. J Health Dispar Res Pract. 2016 Fall;9(3):103-114.
- Caplan, LS, Sawyer, P, Holt, C, and Brown, CJ. Religiosity after a Diagnosis of Cancer among Older Adults, Journal of Religion, Spirituality, and Aging. 2014; 26(4):357-369.
Honors and Awards
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship for teaching and research, 2000-2001
- State of Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Cancer Scholar, 2001-2006
- Morehouse School of Medicine teaching awards: Distinguished Teaching Award, 2008; Faculty Teaching Award, 2010; Faculty Research Award, 2012; Dean’s Outstanding Teaching Award, 2013; Faculty Appreciation Award, 2013
- Sellers McCroan Award, 2016